Over the years Woman to Woman Fertility Center has succeeded in matching infertile couples and individuals with ovum donors who have stepped forward to help with admirable willingness. These recipients have gone on to achieve their dreams of having children !.
Becoming an Ovum Donor is a process involving many steps. They include administrative, legal, medical and psychological requirements that must be met. Each step must be completed before continuing to the next.
The ovum donation process begins with the submission of an application. An application can be requested by calling our office at (925) 820-9495 or you may also print it from the above link: Donors – Donor Application.
We hold a high health standard for our applicants. We will be unable to consider you if any of the following apply to you:
- You are a smoker
- You use illegal or prescribed medications (other than birth control)
- You are over 29 years of age
- You have been exposed to Hepatitis
- You have been turned down for blood donation
- Your schedule is not flexible enough to accommodate 5-7 doctor appointments within a two-week period.
- There is a history of genetic diseases in your family
- You are using Norplant or Depo Provera for birth control and do not wish to discontinue
Return to us your application with pictures of yourself (and your children, if any) so we may evaluate your candidacy. Once your application is reviewed, we will notify you of your preliminary acceptance or denial. Under no circumstances are we at liberty to reveal why we have declined an application. Finally, you will have an interview with our executive director and a psychological screening test. Although we understand your desire to help as a potential candidate, acceptance into our program does not guarantee that you will be chosen by a recipient.
Once a recipient has expressed an interest in you, a schedule around the recipient’s treatment cycle and your availability will be outlined by the IVF Clinic. Occasionally the recipient may wish to meet with you. This meeting will occur only if both parties agree to it. If you do agree, only first names are used, no other identifying information is exchanged.
If the recipient chooses to continue with you as the ovum donor, you must then sign an Ovum Donation Agreement. After the agreement is executed, you will begin the process of medical screening. The screening will take place at the recipient’s medical center. Their physician will discuss your family and medical history; the medical procedures involved; and answer any concerns you may have about the procedure. You will also have a pelvic exam and blood tests. You will be screened for all sexually transmitted diseases including HIV. If you have a partner they must be screened as well.
Once you have passed the medical screening, the next step is the treatment cycle. Because protocols vary for medical centers, we can only approximate a treatment schedule. However, there are several points that are always true.
- Do not plan any travel during the treatment cycle.
- You must be available for 5-7 visits to the medical center, including the egg retrieval.
- Your medications will require daily injections.
- You must be committed to following all the instructions for medications faithfully, as the success of the cycle depends on it.
- You must attend every scheduled medical appointment.
- You must be accompanied the day of the egg retrieval, as you cannot drive yourself.
Once Woman to Woman Fertility Center has been notified the egg retrieval has taken place, you will receive your compensation. We will also gladly reimburse you for all appropriate expenses. These can be submitted at any time up to 30 days after the procedure and must include receipts.
We hope this information has helped you to understand this vital and wonderful process!
We sincerely appreciate your interest and look forward to receiving your application soon.