Over the years Woman to Woman Fertility Center has succeeded in matching infertile couples and individuals with generous women willing to help make dreams come true. With the use of the Prospective Mother’s eggs or donated eggs and through the process of in-vitro fertilization, many of these recipients have achieved their dream of having children.
Becoming a surrogate is a process involving many steps. There are administrative, legal, medical and psychological requirements that must be met in order to become a surrogate. Each step must be completed before continuing to the next step.
The surrogate candidate process begins with the submission of the Initial Contact Form. You can also complete a Surrogate Application by downloading the PDF file on the right. We hold a high health standard for our applicants. We will be unable to consider you if any of the following apply to you:
- You have been exposed to Hepatitis
- You have been turned down for blood donation
- You have never given birth
- You are using Norplant, DepoProvera or an IUD and do not wish to discontinue
- Your schedule is not flexible enough to accommodate a minimum of 4 doctor appointments for each cycle
- You use illegal or non-prescribed medications
- You are a smoker
- You are receiving State Assistance
Once you have been preliminary approved, we will invite you in for an interview with WWFC’s Executive Director, Marlene Kaminsky. At this appointment you will be given a MMPI test which is the first part of our psychological screening. Allow about 3 hours for this appointment. We will set up an appointment for you and your husband/partner to be interviewed by the center’s psychologist. Afterwards, we will notify you if you have been accepted into the program. Under no circumstances are we at liberty to reveal why we have declined an application.
Prospective parents will review your application. If they choose to go forward with you as their surrogate we will provide you with their profile for your review.At this point we will request your previous medical records so that they can be provided to the Intended Parents’s IVF physician for review.
We will then set up a meeting between you and your Intended Parents. In the case of foreign couples, this meeting usually occurs later in the process. If you and the Intended Parents choose to continue working together the next step is the medical screening.
This takes place at the Prospective Parent’s medical center. The IVF physician will discuss with you your family and medical history; the medical procedures involved in surrogacy and answer any questions you have about the procedure. You will have a pelvic exam, a hysteroscopy and blood tests. You will be screened for all sexually transmitted diseases including HIV. Additionally, if you have a partner he must also be tested for HIV. Results of all these tests must be negative in order to continue.
Once this is completed an agreement will be provided to you for your review. Your legal counsel will be able to answer all your questions and help you prepare an addendum (if needed) with your wishes for this arrangement.
The final step is the treatment cycle. Protocols vary from one treatment center to another, so we can only approximate a schedule in this guide. However, there are several points that are always true.
- Do not plan any travel during the treatment cycle.
- You must be available for a minimum of four visits to the recipient’s medical center, and visits to a local lab.
- You will be given medications that require daily injections.
- You must be committed to following all the instructions for medications faithfully, as the success of the cycle depends on it.
- You must attend every scheduled medical appointment.
- You must be accompanied on the day of embryo transfer, as you cannot drive yourself.
- You must follow all the IVF physician’s instructions regarding bedrest, etc.
Our compensation schedules vary with each individual situation, we have attached a Benefits Package page to provide you with a guideline of what it contains. Our surrogates also receive generous compensation for all expenses as they are incurred.
We hope this information has helped you to understand this vital and wonderful process! We sincerely appreciate your interest and look forward to working with you.